Our Top Five Least Forgettable Bags
We can't be the only ones who notice this - most people still do not bring their own bags to the grocery store! Because it's our mission to help cut back on waste - from plastic bags to disposable water bottles to paper towels and more - we've thought long and hard about why people keep accepting disposable bags when there are so many great reusables to choose from. The answer? People forget. It's as simple as that. Time and time again our customers tell us, "I love my bags, now if I could only remember to bring them with me!"
We've come up with lots of solutions - from a sign on your front door reminding you to grab your bags to actually hanging the bags with your coat or near your keys. But the best way we can think of to remember to bring your own bags is to own bags you can't forget.
So here is our Top Five Least Forgettable Shopping Bags, in no particular order:
1. ACME Workhorse - the first ultra-compact shopping bag, and still the best. Shaped just like a plastic bag, but made from durable rip-stop nylon, it folds up into a tiny attached pouch so you can keep one in your pocket, purse or glove compartment and never get caught without a bag. Also available with long handles, in sets of four, in silicone-coated and in recycled materials.
2. Freak-O-Bags - A lot of ultra-compact shopping bags come with a carabiner to attach it to your purse or backpack, but few of them are so cool looking that you would actually want to do that. These bags are that cool. Monsters, animals and funky sea creatures that open up to a full-sized shopping bag - memorable and reusable.
3. Baggu Set of 5 - Five full-sized grocery bags that stuff into a coordinating pouch. Hang the pouch on your doorknob and get a reminder to bring your great-looking bags every time you leave the house. Also available individually and in sets of three.
4. String bag shopping sets - The convenient stuff sack makes them easy to remember - just hang them with your keys or on your doorknob. But what's really unforgettable is the reaction you'll get from other people. Memories of other customers asking "where did you get those awesome bags?" will remind you to bring them with every time.
5. ACME Bags EarthTote - Unlike the other bags on our list, this one's not a little guy. EarthTotes replace paper bags, and they fold flat just like the real thing - only they're super tough and built to last for years. Some of our customers keep a stack of these next to the refrigerator where they store their coupons - others keep them ready in the trunk. Once you've used EarthTotes and see how many paper and plastic bags they replace you won't forget them because you simply won't want to. Also available in recycled PET and as a set.
Looking for more creative solutions? Try creating your own kit. Our Customer Service rep Belinda keeps a stack of EarthTotes neatly folded in side a Built market tote, which she hangs on her door. When it's time to shop, she grabs the whole kit and uses the market tote for cold and frozen foods.
For a complete shopping kit, try storing 3-4 EarthTotes or other tote bags in an ACME drawstring bag and a set of produce bags in the front zipper pocket. Hang the whole thing near your door and you'll have everything you need for groceries in one spot.
What's your trick for remembering your bags? Do you have a kit you've made or a set of bags you can't live without? Leave us a comment and we'll choose a random winner to receive a $25 gift certificate to our store to stock up on other smart reusables! We'll choose a winner on 5/14/10.
Thanks for all your comments - and congrats to Amy!